[ExI] will raise bugs for food

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 23:21:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 6:32 PM, darren shawn greer
<dgreer_68 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ticks are arachnids, so they have chitinous exoskeletons like other arachnids, as someone said, but much, much harder.

Not to be contrary, but no, not they're not *hard*, they're *tough*.
If they were hard, they'd be brittle, and females wouldn't expand to
100 times their normal size, they'd pop. Yes, they're hard to crush,
but, no, they're not brittle.

> Here we don't even bother to try crushing them. We pick them off, place them on a hard surface, and hold the flame of a lighter to them for a few seconds. They explode. Not kidding. That is the preferred method for disposing of ticks in these parts. They make a very satisfying pop when they go.

Which suggests a new edible tick snack: popticks.

-Dave