[ExI] The mosque at Ground Zero.

darren shawn greer dgreer_68 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 15 18:00:04 UTC 2010

> in conclusion, there is no objective morality

. . . is a morally objective statement. Every conclusion that posits there absolutely "is" something or there absolutely "is not" something is in and of itself an absolutist position. That's why relativism is such a tough nut to crack: it relies on an objective perspective outside the system being judged to validate its observations. And the relative position beyond each relative assertion and waiting for its chance to respond is objectivism.

And so on.

It's a philosophical sink-hole. Not to mention a political mine-field, as objectivists (think Aristotle and slavery) usually end up making moral assertions that are repugnant to some, and relativists (think Machiavelli and drowning your enemies) usually (if inadvertently) undermine values that are important to most.

Wittengstein noticed this, and said that to discuss such things you need a language and frame of reference entirely beyond what human beings are capable of as subjective observers. Perhaps what we are capable of is agreeing on that which would be acceptable to the largest number of people as mutually beneficial "universal" morality: a kind of philosophical and moral utilitarianism.

Or we could step back a few years ( or a couple thousand of 'em) and adopt tribal territorial morality, which lets you do YOUR thing as long as it doesn't interfere substantially with MY thing. Either way, it would be better than what we have now, which is this constant back and forth between two dominant two world views and the conflict that always results when you try to impose your preference -- relativist or objectivist -- on others.

A mish-mash of relative and objective opinion, I realize. But hey, I've given up trying to eat the meat of this particular chestnut.

Darren

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

-Herbert Spencer