[ExI] Fwd: [Body Hacking] Reverse-Engineering of Human Brain Likely by 2030, Expert Predicts

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 18 04:31:26 UTC 2010

Somebody else wrote:

> How does the genome explain protein folding?

It doesn't. So what?

> Just because a million lines of code describe the genesis of the
> brain's biological systems, doesn't mean that we understand the
> interactions of the subsequent structures.

When I was a kid I built some electronic devices from kits, I just followed the instructions. When I was soldering in a capacitor I didn't understand how it interacted with all the other capacitors coils resistors and transistors in the device much less the integrated circuits, nevertheless when I was finished the thing worked because I followed instructions. Understanding is for philosophers not assembly line workers. The great advantage of reverse engineering is that understanding is not necessary.

 John K Clark