[ExI] CQT Researcher Uncovers Quantitative Link Between Quantum Non-Locality and Uncertainty.

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Dec 4 17:59:16 UTC 2010

2010/12/3 spike <spike66 at att.net>:
>>> Pondering quantum mechanics is like a religious experience for me.
>>> Because every time I do it, I ask, "How in the goddam hell can this be?"

>>Hmm... religious experience indeed:  the unexplained, god, damnation,
>>hell and existence all in one sentiment.  :)  Mike

>All that religion in a single prepositional phrase!...spike

Writing about it reminded me of college, when I read about the standard
explanations for quantum mechanics.  Perhaps you have read them too, and
your reaction was similar to mine: no way, this must be wrong, there hasta
be a better explanation, I will find it.

Then I witnessed the double slit experiment.  I did the equations every
which way I could imagine.  They showed that photons are quantized, like
tiny particles with energy equal to h*nu, with momentum equal to h*nu/c.
Those equations are my trusted friends, they never lied to me, never let me
down ever, a scintillation detector proves it true, and time is a one way
street in my experience.  Then we see how the photons are hitting the double
slits one at a time, calculate it a hundred times, they are, no question.
But somehow each individual photon is either splitting in two and
interfering with itself, or its *spacial* other self, or it is somehow
remembering what the previous photon did, and leaving messages for the next
one, as if it is like a particle waving back and forth in time, interfering
or with its temporal other self.  Or some damn thing.  Every standard
explanation just sounds so outlandish, so very wrong, but it then the theory
actually works perfectly.  How annoying!  Quantum mechanical theory makes
accurate predictions to eight places, works waaaay better than the models we
mechanical engineering types use every day and trust explicitly, even though
they are lucky to predict within plus or minus thirty percent.

It's been 30 years now since my mind was first boggled by that astonishing
experiment, but today I am NO CLOSER to any reasonable-sounding explanation
for quantum mechanics.