[ExI] Hard Takeoff

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 13:54:59 UTC 2010

On 5 December 2010 14:04, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Stefano wrote:
>> Thus, a static Brave New World scenario would seem at least possible,
>> or even probable.
>
> But the American military-industrial complex is a juggernaut of
> research programs for those subjects that it considers within it's
> defined interests.

In fact, I suspect business, corporate-level competition to be a poor
substitute for international, community-level competition in terms of
technological accelerating factors. In this respect, real or perceived
outside threats may be one's best chance to see a little public funds
devoted to cutting-edge research rather than to appeasing the
different constituencies of the political classes in power...

We may like it or not, but it is undeniable that allegedly
military-relevant research programmes are in a less comatose state, at
least in the US,  than the rest.

In Europe, we cannot even console ourselves with that.

--
Stefano Vaj