[ExI] Wikileaks

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 17:39:22 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 1:06 AM, The Avantguardian
<avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
                    <snip>

> In an age where government is groping into our underpants, I think Julian is a
> courageous hero.

Big time.

> He is helping make the transparent society cut both ways and I
> think that is as noble a calling as any.

David Brin's prediction is coming into being even as we speak.

> Why should the government get privacy
> and secrecy, if the people the government exists to serve are not entitled to
> it?

Why, indeed?  The govt is being dragged into the future kicking and
screaming in protest.  Government resistance to its loss of
power/control is to be expected.  The rise of openness and the
increasing power of the new cyber-citizen -- ie cultural evolution in
the internet age --no matter that it is utilitarian or right or
inevitable is still the greatest  of all horrors to the "ruling
elite".   I didn't see this fight coming -- because I didn't think
about it -- but I should have.  The future, however, has the upper
hand (or so I think and hope.  We shall see.)

> I am shocked that you all would be so apathetic toward one of our own

"One of our own" is tribalist  phrasing, slightly off-putting to me,
and ineffective (for me).  Seeking to garner support in the struggle
for  transparency?,  permit me to rephrase:

"I am shocked that you would be apathetic toward so robust a battle
for the advancement of transhumanist values."

To which I respond, "Who you callin' apathetic there, Stuart?" ;-}

Seemingly apathetic, perhaps, but not actually.  I for one am
transfixed, captivated, and thrilled.  The squealing of the government
minions, and the protest of their quisling enablers, is music to this
boy's ears.  The drama too, is exquisite.  Assange is a cross between
Bill Gates, Robin Hood, and Tom Paine.  Bradley Manning seems the new
Nathan Hale.  Another metaphor from the American Revolution could
paint the pro-Wikileaks forces as latter day Minutemen, and the
ossified old guard with their kool-aid necromonger legions as the
Tories.

In short Stuart, I have been waiting for the list to take up the
matter.  Till then, let us not speak of apathy.

Best, Jeff Davis

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at
you, then they fight you, then you win."

                     Mahatma Gandhi