[ExI] SpaceX launch

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 22:28:45 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 09:26:03AM -0800, Adrian Tymes wrote:
>> First, get a private space station.
>
> The interesting part is getting >300 kg to LEO. Plasma
> thrusters will go a long way.

Indeed.  I would very much like to see viable plasma thrusters that can
generate 1G+ of thrust.  The trick seems to be either generating or storing
that much plasma, without ruining the thrust to weight ratio (when including
the plasma generating/storing equipment, including any power supplies
that need to be carried by the rocket).

I wonder if there's a chemical reaction that can take its reactants up to
plasma phase, without need of external input?

>> Until then, launching to what space station there is will have to suffice,
>> so far as the launcher end of things is concerned.
>
> Please do not top-post and please trime your mail.

Please typo-check and please don't quote entire emails without adding
anything but a period and your signature (as your email immediately
following this one did).