[ExI] Jason Hope pledges $500k to SENS Foundation

Bryan Bishop kanzure at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 20:12:54 UTC 2010

Jason Hope pledges $500k to SENS Foundation
http://sens.org/node/1861

"""

Hope's Donation Will Support SENS Foundation's Research Of Rejuvenation
Biotechnologies And Its Mission To Fight Age-Related Disease

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Dec. 9, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/

The global scientific community is increasingly recognizing the role of
rejuvenation biotechnologies in addressing age-related disease. This week,
Arizona-based businessman Jason Hope announced a $500,000 donation to SENS
Foundation, a California-based non-profit organization that works to
develop, promote and ensure widespread access to rejuvenation
biotechnologies which comprehensively address age-related disease.

“I have had great interest in the SENS Foundation and Dr. Aubrey de Grey's
work for some time now. I believe their work is essential to the advancement
of human medicine and their approach to the overall problem of human aging
and its associated diseases (Alzheimer's, Atherosclerosis, Diabetes, etc.)
is the only way to go. Their work and the work of others that they support
will drive the complete redefinition and reshaping of the healthcare,
pharmaceutical, and biotech industries as we know them today. The
advancement of rejuvenation biotechnologies is not only extremely important,
but it is the future. I am honored to support the SENS Foundation in its
efforts, and hope my support helps drive faster results for all of
humanity,” said Jason Hope.

The donation was announced by SENS Foundation CEO, Mike Kope, at Tuesday's
'Breakthrough Philanthropy' event hosted by the Thiel Foundation, in the
Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco.

“We need to create an entirely new biotech industry. That's why we created
SENS Foundation: to be a credible catalyst for change; to be a public
research and outreach organization devoted to the creation of a new field-
rejuvenation biotechnology. To that end, we are proud that our projects are
capturing the imaginations of top tier collaborators in biotech and
regenerative medicine. Jason Hope's donation is a major contribution,
enabling us to build on our existing collaborations in 2011, and
accelerating our progress in the fight against age-related disease,” said
Mike Kope.

“I enjoyed hearing a lot of great presentations at the Breakthrough
Philanthropy event,” said Thiel Foundation chairman Peter Thiel. “But for
me, the highlight of the whole evening was hearing about Jason's bold
commitment to defeating aging.”

SENS Foundation CSO, Aubrey de Grey, described the use to which Hope's
donation will be put:

“Arteriosclerosis - hardening of the arteries - is the main cause of
increased blood pressure (hypertension) in the elderly, which in turn
exacerbates major aspects of aging such as diabetes. It is caused largely by
the unwanted accumulation of molecular bonds between the proteins that hold
the cells of the artery in place - the extracellular matrix. The same
process causes long-sightedness (presbyopia) and contributes to skin aging.
I am delighted that Jason's donation will fund our work on the
pharmacological breaking of these unwanted molecular bonds, and the
restoration of elasticity to the body's extracellular matrix.”

To view Mike Kope's announcement of Jason Hope's donation at Tuesday's
'Breakthrough Philanthropy' event and to learn more about SENS Foundation
visit: http://sens.org/node/1858

About Jason Hope

Jason Hope is an entrepreneur, based in Scottsdale, AZ, with a passion for
philanthropy focusing on education, disease cure, scientific research and
biotechnology. An Arizona native, Hope is a strong supporter of local
educational programs that encourage learning inside and out of the classroom
as well as those organizations that have a significant impact on disease
prevention, control and cures. Hope has worked with the Boys & Girls Club of
Metropolitan Phoenix, the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Desert Mountain
States Chapter, The Tony Hawk Foundation, The Andre Agassi Foundation, True
Colors Fund, The Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation, Family Health
International, Worldwide Orphans Foundation, T Gen Foundation, Teach for
America Phoenix, International Foundation for Education and Self Help and
the Arizona Science Center, where he is a member of the Director's Circle.

About SENS Foundation : www.sens.org

SENS Foundation is a non-profit organization founded in 2009 to develop,
promote and ensure widespread access to rejuvenation biotechnologies which
comprehensively address age-related disease. Our focus is SENS, a framework
for repairing the damage which builds up in the body as a result of normal
metabolism, before that damage leads to the development of deadly
pathologies.

SOURCE SENS Foundation www.prnewswire.com Copyright (C) 2010 PR Newswire.
All rights reserved -0- KEYWORD: California INDUSTRY KEYWORD: HEA

BIO SUBJECT CODE: NPT

"""
- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/