[ExI] Who is safe?

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 20:05:56 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 5:00 AM,  Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 December 2010 22:36, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On the other hand, perhaps the guy is still a patriot who just thinks
>> what he found was so off the rails that it needed to be corrected and
>> this was the only way he figured it could be done.  It's a problem you
>> get from people running up against real life when they have been
>> taught American idealism in school.
>>
> Patriot for what? The Australian Empire to rule the world in a distant
> future?

As others pointed out, you lost the context.  I was discussing PFC
Manning not Assange.

I don't have a security clearance, never have had one.  I do know a
number of people who have security clearances, including some who are
currently under orders not to access Wikileaks.  Was talking to such a
person not long ago and mentioned how silly such orders seemed to me.
The orders have backed off to let people in the government read the
NYT Wikileaks based stories.

However, as this person pointed out, the order not to read Wikileaks
materials is rational.  We have the example of PFC Manning who read
them and was turned against the US by what he read in those cables,
not to mention the gunship video.

Keith