[ExI] a good day for liberty

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 13:37:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 4:05 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> ... On Behalf Of Alan Grimes
> --
> DO NOT USE OBAMACARE.
> DO NOT BUY OBAMACARE.
> Powers are not rights.
>

> Alan, I like your tagline.  As Judge Hudson said today, health care reform
> is a laudable goal, but it must be done legally.  The legislative process
> must operate within constitutional bounds.  The Virginia judge issued the
> opinion today that forcing people to buy insurance is outside of those
> bounds.  Government good intentions are insufficient to offset the absence
> of enumerated powers.
>
> I have nothing against federal government involvement in medical care.  But
> they have not the authority to make us buy in.
>
> Check out the excellent essay from the Cato Institute:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/12/13/shapiro.court.mandate.health/index.htm
> l?hpt=T2

That link doesn't work. But there are legal opinions contrary to the
Federal Court judge's:

http://www.theconstitutional.org/2010/12/13/health-care-financing-reform-119-virginia-federal-court-strikes-down-individual-mandate-in-health-care-reform-act/

The Federal Court can be overruled by the Supreme Court, and a Supreme
Court judge can interpret the constitution however he pleases. That
you might object that the judge has obviously got it wrong won't carry
a lot of weight. Judges are appointed by the President and the Senate
and can be impeached by Congress and the Senate. They are thus
ultimately the creatures of elected officials.

--
Stathis Papaioannou