[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Dec 23 19:26:06 UTC 2010

... On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes

>...I recall a sci-fi story where intelligent life was discovered on a
neutron star...

Hi Adrian, the neutron star part sounds like a flaw in an otherwise cool
premise.  I need to check the calculations on this, but I think it is
impossible for anything other than neutrons to exist on a neutron star long
term.  Perhaps if it is small enough one could have protons and electrons
coexisting with a neutron core for a while, but I think I recall the
interface between the neutronium and the ordinary compressed matter
catalyzes the reaction that presses the ordinary matter into neutrons,
sending blasts of neutrinos and gammas everywhere in a short but violent
contraction.

Again I could be remembering this incorrectly, but considering how a neutron
star comes into existence in the first place, any possible lifeforms would
need to come down from somewhere else.  Landing on a neutron star would
likely be a rough landing indeed, even if the life could think of any good
reason why it would be a good idea to go down to the surface of a neutron
star.  {8^D  Otherwise it sounds like an interesting story.