[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 13:56:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> We're used to an anthropocentric view on how aging affects
> people. If everything is inspectable and malleable, there
> will be more and more deviations from that expected pattern
> in human-derived and human-inspired constructs. De novo
> constructs could be considerably alien even from the beginning,
> though of course they'll be soaking the same bootstrap
> context as us.

If everything becomes inspectable and malleable, then all bets are off.
Anyone's guess is good. We're in science-fiction territory now.
After the Singularity.

But extrapolating from what we know now, and assuming no magic science
where we gain super powers and become anything that we wish to be,
then *old* entities will not think like 25 year olds.

(If everything becomes malleable, then the bad guys will make
plentiful use of it, that you can be sure of. Unless a benevolent
government uses it first to ensure that anything they define as a
'bad' guy gets altered for the common good).

BillK