[ExI] moral issues

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 02:41:05 UTC 2010

2010/12/25 Florent Berthet <florent.berthet at gmail.com>:

> 2010/12/25 Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at gmail.com>
>>
>> "...As terrible as it sounds, the state of the world isn't really my
>> responsibility.  I'm just thrilled to get to watch. ..."
>>
>> It ISN'T his responsibility -- or any of ours -- and it only sounds
>> terrible if you worry your peers will think badly of you if you don't
>> embrace their (guilt imposing) ideology with the same full-throated
>> hysteria.
>>

> What about the famous "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is
> for good  men to do nothing" ?

What about the famous "The road to hell is paved with good
intentions."?  What about when you try to help someone and they fight
you?   What about minding one's own business?  What about "They also
serve who only stand and wait."?  What about "Too many cooks spoil the
broth."?  What about, "This too shall pass."?  Or the elegant yet
pithy, "Keep your head down."  Or the folksy, "Time to get outta
Dodge."?

Hmmmm.  This is fun.

> I'm not debating global warming here, but the general point. Aren't
> extropians supposed to save the World, or something?

A common misconception, though I would certainly encourage anyone with
such grand ambition, to read Don Quixote, and then take a shot at it.
Takes the pressure off of the rest of us.

But the world is 6+ billion individuals, and if it is to be saved, let
the saving start close to home with oneself and family and friends.
Anyone who wants to check the Extropian principles for guidance is
encouraged to do so.  After that, the "World" is on its own.

Been a pleasure, Florent.  I look forward to "chatting" with you
again.  Have a great life.  We live in an amazing time, no?

Best, Jeff Davis

 "And I think to myself, what a wonderful world!"
                  Louie Armstrong