[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 03:58:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Alan Grimes <agrimes at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> I want nothing that uploading offers.
>
> ... if you want to upload FINE, ... ...just permit me the chance to evolve in a different direction.
>
> To which the answer from the community booms down "NO".

I'm okay with this deal.  it seems self-limiting to me.

If you reject the choice to upload now, three other choices avail:
natural death, extended life, or some form of storage.  If you die --
a form of evolving in a different direction -- you end the conflict.
If you enjoy an extended lifespan, then you continue to interact with
the world as it continues to evolve.  This means you will be presented
with a unceasing stream of previously unavailable choices for your
further evolution, from which you will pick one of four, (ie
re-iterate from step zero): choose to change, choose to die, choose to
carry on "maturing naturally" in an ever-changing environment, choose
to be stored.  This last choice, storage, simply puts off the other
choices to a later date.  Unless of course, you die in storage.

Jeff Davis