[ExI] Mechanisms of carbohydrate/sugar addiction

J. Stanton js_exi at gnolls.org
Sun Dec 26 06:15:43 UTC 2010

> From: Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com>
>> >
>> >  http://www.gnolls.org/905/mechanisms-of-sugar-addiction-or-why-youre-addicted-to-bread/
>> >
> Overall, I like it it. It presents a strong case pretty succinctly. A couple
> minor quibbles:
>
> -you compare whole wheat bagels to Skittles. I don't see whole wheat bagels
> in the GI table, and your photo shows a plain bagel. Plain bagel means "not
> whole wheat".

Good catch!  I'm not up on my bagel terminology, not having consumed
bagels for a long time.

As far as GI content, I had to make an assumption: if white bread and
whole wheat bread had appx. the same glycemic index, so should a white
bagel and a whole wheat bagel.  This is because I literally can't find a
single source for glycemic index of a whole wheat bagel, even in the
giant list of 7500+ results!  Since a white bagel has the same GI as
white bread, I figured this was reasonable.

> -"In other words, we are told to graze?like cattle." Grazing refers to
> eating grass, not chowing down on grains. I think you mean something like:
> "In other words, we are told to load up on grains?like cattle being fattened
> for slaughter."

That's a good point, too.

It turns out this is part I of a multi-part essay, which covers a lot of
ground relating to glycemic index, macronutrient composition, diet,
health, and human evolutionary history.  I look forward to presenting
the rest and hearing your feedback.

JS
http://www.gnolls.org