[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 26 14:46:42 UTC 2010

Alan Grimes <agrimes at speakeasy.net> wrote a bunch of rather impolite and inflammatory things.

OK, I'm not trying to be unkind here, although it may seem as if I am.

I assume you see the absurdity of a celibate priest giving sex advice to married couples?

There is an analogous absurdity in someone who claims to have 'never even been on a date' proclaiming on the sexual motivations of transhumanists. You know nothing about the mental states of the people who frequent Extropia Core, and I can say this with a good deal of confidence.

"my only prospects have been offered by homosexual men! =\": I find that faintly offensive.  Not that I blame you, and I acknowledge that the offense is my own responsibility.  But I'm pointing out that it can cause offense (in case you didn't realise). Apart from anything else, some of those homosexual men could be your greatest allies.  They know a lot of useful stuff. Do you have any gay friends, male or female?  I'm betting not. Think about this: If you gain the confidence of a gay guy, you have a friend who is a guy, but girls treat him like another girl.  They'll tell him things they'd never tell a straight guy.  Things that could be very beneficial to a hot-blooded straight guy.  Worth bearing in mind.  Plus, a lot of gay people are very nice people.

Sexuality is a basic part of human nature, and it will permeate just about any human interests, including transhumanism, but it's probably a good idea if you learn more about it (other peoples' not just yours) before sounding off about it in relation to anything.

Get laid. That's a good first step. It's not difficult (really, it's not), you just have to realise that the biggest obstacle is *not* other people.  And it doesn't matter how ugly or fat or skinny or limb-deficient or anything else you might be (including mysogynistic. It's a funny old world).  Learn about body-language, eye-contact, being interested in other people and acting confident.  Fake it all if you have to.

Come on, you're an extropian (I presume).  You know the drill.  Find what works, use it. If it doesn't work for you, try something else. Rinse and repeat until success.  Then raise the bar a step.  And with something as universal and basic as sex, success is guaranteed!  Everybody (almost everybody) wants sex.  Especially with someone who's sympathetic (but not sycophantic), attentive (but not clingy) and understanding (but not obsessive).

Come back when it's no longer a big deal, and *then* talk about the sexual motivations of transhumanists.

I wish you the best of luck.

Ben Zaiboc