[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality

Max More max at maxmore.com
Mon Dec 27 01:34:35 UTC 2010

> >...BTW I dislike the term postbiology. Biology isthe study of life and
>would be just as applicable to machine-phase lifeas towet-carbon
>life...Stuart LaForge

I like to use a neologism like "vitology" for the study of
life-in-general, while reserving "biology" for the more or less
familiar chemical forms of life. Postbiological life forms would
indeed be living complex systems, but I wouldn't call them biological
if they were based on entirely distinct physical platforms.

Looking at terminology, "biology" is the study of living organisms,
but it has always been about the living organisms that we've been
familiar with up to now. It's not a crucial matter, but my preference
is to reserve "biology" for the wide range of life forms we're
already come across, but not stretch it to cover entirely different
substrates and platforms.

Max