[ExI] Meat v. Machine

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Dec 31 06:14:06 UTC 2010

... On Behalf Of Damien Broderick
Subject: Re: [ExI] Meat v. Machine

On 12/30/2010 9:51 PM, spike wrote:

>> We perhaps could downscale the clock speed so it is working only one
>> trillionth the speed it is capable of running, so the 4 million year
>> trip would go by in an acceptable perceived 4 years?

>That's not the problem (there's thousands or millions of others with you in
the star sliver), it's the isolation from the Borg back home, where all the
>good stuff is being done and you're out of touch by subjective
millions-fold. Slowing yer clock down would make it worse.

Ja I see.  We could be onto a good solution to the puzzle of why the first
civilization to evolve apparently didn't fill the universe.  Home is so much
more interesting.  There isn't a big return on the investment to send some
of the thought potential outwards, even if it presents the possibility of
colonizing another star system.  It is possible that the information that is
several years away is always insufficiently valuable to give away current
processing capability.