[ExI] Meat v. Machine

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Dec 31 09:32:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 04:54:28PM -0600, Damien Broderick wrote:

> But it's the obvious one (especially if it's true). Even at c, traveling

If you travel at relativistic speed, there's time dilation.

And, of course, you can adjust your time base so that
subjectively zero time passes, or a little time, or a long
time.

> for 4 million years to get to the *nearest* star system is ridiculous.
> Yes, maybe you get updates and upgrades from home, but the fine
> cut&thrust is missing. So the cosmos is physically explored only by
> antisocial psychopaths? Oh dear.

Just like every colonization done by man. Mayflower, and
such. And I hear that there are plenty of volunteers for
these proposed one-way Mars missions.