[ExI] How not to make a thought experiment

Spencer Campbell lacertilian at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 16:44:16 UTC 2010

John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
> Your retort is always I don't understand that or I do understand that so
> "obviously" that can't be right. Even in theory I don't see how any
> explanation would satisfy you.

Right now I'm thinking the only way to do it is by forming an
unbreakable line of similarity between Turing machines and human
brains. Not an easy task for the same reason you hinted at: one is
very simple and easy to understand, whereas one is very complex and
difficult to understand.

Basically, it all depends on what Gordon thinks is the simplest
conceivable object capable of intentionality.