[ExI] The digital nature of brains (was: digital simulations)

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 13:32:16 UTC 2010

--- On Wed, 2/3/10, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Can a conscious Texas-sized brain constructed out of
>> giant neurons made of beer cans and toilet paper exist as a
>> possible consequence of your brand of functionalism? Or
>> not?
>
> It would have to be much, much larger than Texas if it was
> to be human equivalent and it probably wouldn't physically possible due
> (among other problems) to loss of structural integrity over the
> vast distances involved. However, theoretically, there is no
> problem if such a system is Turing-complete and if the behaviour of
> the brain is computable.

Okay, I take that as a confirmation of your earlier assertion that brains made of beer cans and toilet paper can have consciousness provided those beer cans squirt the correct neurotransmitters between themselves at the correct times. This suggests to me that your ideology has a firmer grip on your thinking that does your sense of the absurd, and that no reductio ad absurdum argument will find traction with you.

I find it ironic that you try to use reductio ad absurdum arguments with me given that you have apparently inoculated yourself against them. :-)

-gts