[ExI] ANNOUNCE: New "Artificial General Intelligence" discussion list on Google Groups

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Thu Feb 4 18:18:17 UTC 2010

set this up as an alternative:

http://groups.google.com/group/artificial-general-intelligence

Full name of the group is "Artificial General Intelligence" but the
short name is AGI-group.  (Note that there is already a google group
called Artificial General Intelligence, but it appears to be spam-dead.)

Its purpose is to encourage polite and well-informed discussion, so it
will be moderated to that effect.

Allow me to explain my rationale.  In the past I felt like posting
substantial content to the AGI list because it seemed that there were
some people who were well-informed enough to engage in discussion. These
days, the noise level is so high that I have no interest, because I know
that the people who would give serious thought to real issues are just
not listening anymore.

I understand that Ben Goertzel is trying to solve this by setting up the
H+ forum on AGI.  I wish him luck in this, of course, and I myself have
joined that forum and will participate if there is useful material
there.  But I also prefer the faster, easier format of a discussion list
WHEN THAT LIST IS CONTROLLED.  Consider this to be an experiment, then.
  If it works, it works.  If not, then not.

Anyone can join.

But if there are people who

   (a) send ad hominem remarks

   (b) rant on about fringe topics

   (c) persistently introduce irrelevant material

... they will first be subjected to KILLTHREADs, and then if it does not
stop they will be banned.  This process will be escalated slowly, and
anything as drastic as a ban will be preceded by soliciting the opinions
of the group if it is a borderline case.

Wow!  That sounds draconian!  Who is to say what is "fringe" and what is
way out there, but potentially valuable?

Well, the best I can offer is this.  I have over 25 years' experience of
research in AI, physics and psychology, and I have also investigated
other "fringe" areas like scientific parapsychology, so I consider my
standards to be very tolerant when it comes to new ideas (after all, I
have some outlier ideas of my own), but also savvy enough to know when
someone is puncturing the envelope, rather than pushing it.

So here goes.  You are all invited to join at the above address.

For the serious people:  let's try to establish a standard early on.

Richard Loosemore