[ExI] multiple realizability

Spencer Campbell lacertilian at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 19:19:47 UTC 2010

Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com>:
> I suspect that it's ignorance of the importance of levels of abstraction that can lead to ideas like "minds can come from neural networks, but not from digital programs".  All you need to see is that a digital program can implement a neural network at a higher level of abstraction to demolish this idea.

Yep.

But, I'm sure Gordon has already been there. My guess is he took a
plane instead of walking or driving, though, and most likely missed
all of the cultural flavor by persistently following a tour guide. I
wouldn't be surprised if he just stayed in a hotel the whole time.

More as an experiment than anything else, I've been trying to figure
out how to take him step-by-step into Abstraction City and show him
everything he missed. Right now I'm stuck on black boxes.

We have a long way to go.