[ExI] The simplest possible conscious system

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 10:02:49 UTC 2010

On 4 February 2010 15:35, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'd guess that the simplest possible conscious system would have an embodiment ('real' or virtual) within an environment, sensors, actuators, the ability to build internal representations of both its environment and itself, and by implication some kind of state memory.  Hm. maybe we already have conscious robots, and don't realise it!

If "conscious" is taken to mean "exhibiting the same information
processing features of an average adult, healthy, alert, educated
human being" the theoretical answer for me corresponds to the question
"what is the simplest possible universal computer".

And the answer is discussed quite in depth in A New Kind of Science.

OTOH, most universal computers which are in fact not human beings,
including all those who are much simpler than brains,  would be
monstrously inefficient in performing such task.

So, if you are referring to something which may pass a Turing test
without its opponent (or perhaps the universe...) dying of old age
between one question and its answer, the requirements would of course
be much stricter.

--
Stefano Vaj