[ExI] Nolopsism

Spencer Campbell lacertilian at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 20:47:20 UTC 2010

Aware <aware at awareresearch.com>:
> Spencer, a more coherent system of justice is possible, and "we"
> continue to move, in fits and starts, in this direction already for
> many millennia.
>
> But it's not based on abolishment of the self.  As Pollock's paper
> shows, a sense of self is NECESSARY for situated effectiveness.
>
> Rather, it's a matter of identification of self over a GREATER sphere of agency.

Right: corporations. Total abolishment of the self would ultimately
require doing away with recognition of discrete objects entirely,
which doesn't make a lot of sense. I would want a system that treats
"selves" as legal fabrications, not one which denies their conceptual
validity.

Phew, almost said "existence" there. Shaky ground.

Aware <aware at awareresearch.com>:
> Increasing agreement on the rightness or "morality" of actions
> corresponds to the extent such actions are assessed as promoting an
> increasing context of increasingly coherent, hierarchical,
> fine-grained, evolving but present (subjective) values, via methods
> methods increasingly effective, in principle, over increasing
> (objective) scope of interaction. Lather, rinse, repeat.
>
> Yes, it's a mouthful, and I estimate it takes several hundred pages to
> unpack in order to accommodate the priors of most here.

You're correct: for me, it's more than a mouthful. You seem to be
giving a definition for "increasing agreement on the rightness or
'morality' of actions", but I can't figure out exactly how that bears
on the discussion. It wasn't a point of contention.

We seem to be making incremental progress toward Kantland. It's only a
matter of time before we come across a roaming herd of categorical
imperatives.