[ExI] Joy in the transcendence of the species

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 00:05:36 UTC 2010

Max More wrote:
I have long enjoyed the word "Schadenfreude", meaning pleasure derived from
the misfortunes of others. [Note: I've enjoyed the *term* "schadenfreude",
not the thing it refers to.] I got to thinking what word (if one could be
coined) would mean "pleasure in the transcendence of the species" (i.e.,
transcendence of the human condition). It may be asking a lot of a word
(even a German word) to do all this work, but I'd like to give it a try.

I think of the German language as being very guttural and ugly to the the
native English speaker's ear.  But perhaps that is because I have seen so
many movies that had yelling Nazi's in them!  I recently watched the
film "Downfall" and this opinion was only reinforced (but it is a great work
of cinema).

I think the languages we should be looking at in this "coin a new
word quest" are English, Greek and Latin, among others.  How about this...

*Gaudiumhumanitastranscendia*  In other words, "joy at humanity
transcending!"

"Gaudium-humanitas-transcendia!"  I like it!  Or another possibility would
be "gaudium-humanitas-transcendere," but I think "transcendia" rolls off the
tongue better.

Taken from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:
 Etymology: Middle English, from Latin *transcendere* to climb across,
transcend, from *trans-* + *scandere* to climb —
Date: 14th century

Max, what do you think?  Everyone else?

John Grigg  : )