[ExI] evolution of consciousness

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 14:37:35 UTC 2010

--- On Wed, 2/10/10, Spencer Campbell <lacertilian at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is actually a very good point. I don't have clearly
> articulate beliefs regarding the relationship between consciousness
> and evolution, myself, but clearly Gordon does.

I think consciousness aids and enhances intelligence, something like the way a flashlight helps one move about in the dark.

Unconscious animals like amoebas exhibit a low level of intelligent behavior. Those instinctive behaviors are encoded by DNA. In higher organisms we see nervous systems, and we see how the resulting consciousness increases the intelligence and flexibility of the organisms.

It seems probable to me that conscious intelligence involves less biological overhead than instinctive unconscious intelligence, especially when considering complex behaviors such as social behaviors. Perhaps nature selected it for that reason only.

-gts