[ExI] Film Script!

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 16:54:05 UTC 2010

Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote in a thread that shall remain nameless:

> What if a race of robots landed on Earth and decided to do
> cruel
> experiments on humans, on the assumption that mere organic
> matter
> couldn't have a mind or feelings, despite behaving as if it
> did?

Yay, Film script!  It has everything to be a successful 'thinking persons' sf film that is nevertheless popular:  The alien robots are advanced AIs (not too advanced of course, or they wouldn't bother invading), plenty of peril, gore and and anguish, maybe nanotech dissection devices that they use to slice and dice and otherwise torture the hapless philosophical zombie humans, in an attempt to find out how we can function, when we clearly possess just an organic simulation of 'real' consciousness.

The hero could be a dashing scientist who uses the awesome power of his human brain to save the pretty young lab assistant who is secretly in love with him, when he notices the power lead coming from the flying saucer...

Yes, it's just The War of the Worlds/Independence Day all over again, but with a philosophical twist.  It could end by leaving you wondering:  Are we actually the zombies, and have we just unplugged the only *really* conscious beings in the universe???

Oh, yes, we could widen the audience demographic by having the pretty young lab assistant be a transsexual.  And throw in a couple of lesbian bishops, only one of whom survives the alien robots' grisly experiments, which incidentally turn her into an atheist.

This could be bigger than "Plan 9 from Outer Space"!

Ben Zaiboc