[ExI] Very long lifespans and accompanying mental milieus

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 23:55:59 UTC 2010

2010/2/11 Will Steinberg :
> Well then you may recast my argument, filling in
> "mid-life-sense-of-pride-and-fulfillment" for "mid-life crisis;" it's still
> something that people a few centuries ago would not understand very well.  I
> still think we will surely face unprecedented places of the mind as
> lifespans grow longer.

I have the feeling that extended lifespans will make people more risk averse.

If you know that the only thing that is likely to kill you in the next
200 years is an accident then it seems likely that avoiding dangerous
situations will become prevalent.

Wars were popular when nobody was likely to live beyond 30 or 40 years anyway.

But a risk averse society .....  Everyone driving golf carts
surrounded by air bags, no dangerous sports, health and safety
regulations everywhere, no motorcycles, etc, I'm sure you can think of
more possibilities.

BillK