[ExI] Semiotics and Computability

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 00:32:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Characters in video games behave as if they have consciousness. Seems to me that digitally simulated brains will also behave as if they have consciousness, but that they will have no more consciousness than do those characters in video games.
>
> I don't play video games myself but I've known children who did. They often spoke of the characters in their video games as if those characters really existed as consciousness entities. Then they matured.

Really?

It still amazes me that anyone continues to engage these discussions with you.

You comment about children and maturity speaks more to me about the
loss of creative imagination and the subjugation of young minds to the
expectation of "growing up" and abandoning 'childish things'

Has anyone you've discussed this with finally admitted their ideas
were wrong and adopted whole cloth your understanding of this issue?
There may be a reason for that.