[ExI] Semiotics and Computability

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 01:49:42 UTC 2010

--- On Thu, 2/11/10, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I don't play video games myself but I've known
>> children who did. They often spoke of the characters in
>> their video games as if those characters really existed as
>> conscious entities. Then they matured.
>
> Characters in video games do certain things such as shoot
> other characters. If they were connected to a robot arm and
> camera, they might be able to shoot real people, really dead.

No sir. The supposed lawyer for such a character in such a video game has a good defense: his client could not have shot anyone because his client does not exist except in someone's overly vivid imagination.

The sensible people on the jury will find that a mixed-up child or perhaps a philosophically-challenged adult used a hi-tech weapon disguised as a computer game to shoot a real person.

-gts