[ExI] Semiotics and Computability

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 03:41:45 UTC 2010

On 14 February 2010 11:49, Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Sat, 2/13/10, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> But when the hardware is set up just right, in a brain or a computer, it
>> behaves in an intelligent manner, and intelligence from the point of view
>> of the system displaying it is consciousness.
>
> My watch tells the time intelligently. Does it therefore have consciousness from its "point of view"? I don't think so. I don't think my watch has a point of view. But then maybe it isn't set up right. :)

The watch performs the function of telling the time just fine. It
simulates a sundial or hour glass in this respect. However, when a
human tells the time there are thousands of extra nuances which a
watch just doesn't have. So the watch tells the time, but it doesn't
understand the concept of of time. Comparing a watch with a human is
like comparing a nematode with a human, only more so. What would you
say to the non-organic alien visitors who make the case that since a
nematode is not conscious, neither can a human be conscious, since
basically a human is just a more complex nematode?

--
Stathis Papaioannou