[ExI] Valentine's probability factor

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Feb 15 00:49:09 UTC 2010

On 2/14/2010 6:26 PM, Emlyn wrote:

> she asked him if he thought she was the only woman for him, and he
> considered it and said "I think you're 1 in 100,000". Apparently this
> started their first fight. Hell of a time for the rational machinery
> to kick in :-)

Nah, it's a perfect test of compatibility with others (the 1 in 100K or
fewer of them) of like mind. Barbara and I were boggled at the apparent
unlikelihood of our having found each other (and we talked about this
right from the start)--which would have been wildly unlikely before the
internet, ExI, affordable international travel, etc. Suddenly we had the
whole English speaking population of the planet to trawl through--rather
than the workplace, university, church, club, etc--presorted by handy
detectors for IQ, personality type, unusual interests, etc.

Damien Broderick