[ExI] Newbie Question: Consciousness and Intelligence

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 11:09:22 UTC 2010

On 16 February 2010 00:49, Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Mon, 2/15/10, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You keep repeating this as a fact but you don't explain why
>> a digital depiction of a person won't have real mental status.
>
> If I make a jpeg of you with my digital camera, that digital depiction of you will have no mental states. If I make a digital movie of you on my webcam, that digital depiction of you will have no mental states. A complete three-dimensional animated digital depiction of you made with futuristic digital simulation technology will amount to just another kind of depiction of you, and so it will likewise have no mental states.
>
> It does not matter whether we create our depictions of things on the walls of caves or on computers. Depictions of things do not equal the things they depict.

But the picture has some *properties* of the thing it represents. A
statue has other properties, and a computer simulation has other
properties still. There is no reason why, unique among all the
properties that a human has, "mind" should not be duplicable in
anything other than the original substrate.

--
Stathis Papaioannou