[ExI] Phil Jones acknowledging that climate science isn't settled

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 05:37:24 UTC 2010

2010/2/17 Alfio Puglisi <alfio.puglisi at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 6:50 PM, Max More <max at maxmore.com> wrote:
>>
>> Interesting:
>>
>> Phil Jones momentous Q&A with BBC reopens the “science is settled” issues
>> emperor is, if not naked, scantily clad, vindicating key skeptic arguments
>>
>> http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/02/14/phil-jones-momentous-qa-with-bbc-reopens-the-science-is-settled-issues/
>>
>> Columnist Indur Goklany summarizes:
>>
>> Specifically, the Q-and-As confirm what many skeptics have long suspected:
>> Neither the rate nor magnitude of recent warming is exceptional.
>> There was no significant warming from 1998-2009. According to the IPCC we
>> should have seen a global temperature increase of at least 0.2°C per decade.
>> The IPCC models may have overestimated the climate sensitivity for
>> greenhouse gases, underestimated natural variability, or both.
>> This also suggests that there is a systematic upward bias in the impacts
>> estimates based on these models just from this factor alone.
>> The logic behind attribution of current warming to well-mixed man-made
>> greenhouse gases is faulty.
>> The science is not settled, however unsettling that might be.
>> There is a tendency in the IPCC reports to leave out inconvenient
>> findings, especially in the part(s) most likely to be read by policy makers.
>
> Reading the article, you discover that most of those points are just made up
> by the columnist. Why do you think that they are interesting?
>
> Alfio

I concur. This is largely commentary by the columnist, not what
actually transpired in the interview.

I haven't read the whole thing in detail, but one early piece stuck
out like a sore thumb, which is the old saw that there is no
significant warming since 1998. That's just flat out wrong, and it's
wrong because 1998 itself stuck out like a sore thumb; it was a
statistical anomaly, which anyone who wasn't being entirely
disingenuous would agree with.

Here's a discussion of that issue, along with graphs showing the 1998
sore thumb:

http://scienceblogs.com/illconsidered/2006/04/warming-stopped-in-1998.php

--
Emlyn