[ExI] Semiotics and Computability

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 08:17:59 UTC 2010

On 19 February 2010 10:42, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Gordon Swobe <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Syntactic order exists in the CR, just as syntactic order exists in your computer. But syntactic order does not give understanding. Think of how the grammatical order of a sentence does not reveal the meanings of the words.
>
> There exists hundreds antiquity language writings, many of which have
> not been deciphered yet.  Are you saying that there is no way to ever
> unravel those patterns of markings to glean insight from ancient
> writing?  Would you have acid-washed the walls of Egypt because the
> pictures are irrelevant scribbling?  Would you have destroyed the
> Rosetta Stone because it held no purpose after you destroyed the other
> writings you couldn't understand?

"Rygyiglop" is a word in a language I have just created. Can you
translate it into English?

It is in general impossible to decipher an unknown language, no matter
how intelligent you are. You can only decipher it in special cases,
where you have a translation or partial translation, or where the
symbols or words bear some resemblance to a known language or to the
objects they represent.

--
Stathis Papaioannou