[ExI] funny headlines again: the dangerous of outsourcing editing to india {8^D

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Feb 22 23:19:39 UTC 2010

> On 2/22/2010 2:29 PM, spike wrote:
>
> > Note how clean Damien's books are, from a spelling and grammar
> > perspective...
>
> My grammar is usually kosher, but the clean spelling in some
> of them is partly due to the careful proofreading by one Greg
> "Spike" Jones (and in other cases, some other kindly souls).
>
> Damien Broderick

I do thank you for the privelege of proofing your work sir, for it is always
an honor, and easy work, being interesting reading and nearly perfect upon
receipt.  I do find the occasional Australianisms puzzling and amusing, as
well as culturally educational.

In the process of proofreading, I have found some sparkling jewels of sf,
particularly the explosive short story The Magi.  As a genre, sf often
suffers from insufficient character development, being more concerned with
concepts and ideas.  Good sf has characters that stick in ones mind, as does
the lead characters in Golding's Lord of the Flies for instance, Piggy,
SamnEric, Simon, etc.  Long after reading The Magi, one still wonders what
it would be like inside the mind of Raphael Silverman, or inside the mind of
the mad priest.  Excellent stuff!