[ExI] Is the brain a digital computer?

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 27 13:58:28 UTC 2010

Stathis,

In my last post I mentioned false assumption #2. I meant to send this post
first:

It dawned on me that you hold two false assumptions, and that these
assumptions explain the supposed problem that you present that leads to
the supposed conclusion that no distinction exists between weak and strong
AI.

1) In your arguments, you assume that for the weak AI hypothesis to hold,
your supposed unconscious components/brains must follow the same physical
architecture as organic brains. No such requirement exists in reality. AI
researchers have the freedom to use whatever architecture they please to
create weak AI, and it will come as no surprise to anyone if a successful
architecture differs from that of an organic brain.

and

2) In your arguments, you assume that your supposed artificial
components/brains must "behave identically" to those of a non-AI. No such
requirement exists in reality. The Turing test defines the only
requirement, and just as you and I behave differently from one another
while passing the TT, an AI might pass the TT while behaving quite
differently from a human or another AI.

It looks to me then that you have burdened AI researchers with two
unnecessary and imaginary constraints. These assumptions of yours also
explain why you have reached the unusual conclusion that no difference
exists between weak and strong AI.

It seems to me that we have spent a lot of time thinking about an
imaginary problem.

-gts