[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 1 02:52:32 UTC 2010

--- On Thu, 12/31/09, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

>> It seems then that you suppose yourself as possessing
>> or equaling this "abstract sphere of mind" that your brain
>> instantiated, and that you suppose further that this
>> abstract sphere of yours will continue to exist after your
>> body dies. Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> After I die my mind can be instantiated again multiple
> times, with different matter.

I see. So then not only do you believe you have something like a soul (though you use this euphemism "sphere of mind") you believe also in the possible multiple reincarnations of your soul. Interesting.

> If the brain were identical with the mind this would
> not be possible:

Naturally you must also believe in the duality of mind and matter, an idea left over as if as a bad hangover from Descartes and other dualists. Your beliefs above would otherwise make no sense to you.

> These metaphysical musings are interesting but have no
> bearing on the rigorous argument presented before,

On the contrary, they must certainly do. I will tell you this in no uncertain terms: you will never understand Searle until learn to see past the sort of religious ideas you have presented above. And until you understand him, you won't understand what you need to do to refute his argument.

You might start here:

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~jsearle/Consciousness1.rtf

-gts