[ExI] Some new angle about AI

scerir scerir at libero.it
Sat Jan 2 07:15:17 UTC 2010

[Stefano]
But we can say that organic brains do much worse than both kinds of
computers at mathematical problems...

[Stathis]
But organic brains do better than computers at the highest level of
mathematical creativity. Interestingly, it is this rather than the
ability to have feelings, produce art etc. that Roger Penrose used in
his case against AI.

#

There is an interesting quote here, about the importance intuition (or, to
say it better, mathematical intuition) as opposed to the
undecidability/uncomputability.
"I don't see any reason why we should have less confidence in this kind of
perception, i.e., in mathematical intuition, than in sense perception, which
induces us to build up physical theories and to expect that future sense
perceptions will agree with them and, moreover, to believe that a question not
decidable now has meaning and may be decided in the future."
- K.Godel, 'What is Cantor's Continuum Problem?', Philosophy of Mathematics,
ed. P.Benacerraf & H. Putnam, p. 483, (year and publisher unknown).