[ExI] quiz for the new year

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jan 3 16:14:11 UTC 2010

> ...On Behalf Of David C. Harris.
> > ... excellent article below on irrationality in smart people:

http://www.magazine.utoronto.ca/feature/why-people-are-irrational-kurt-klein
er/
> > spike

> Excellent article indeed!  I initially answered wrong...

Thanks, me too.

> I first noticed a discrepancy between normal logic and my
> ability to detect correct answers when I took touch typing,
> after I became enamored with the potential of computer
> keyboards...

WOW you must be nearly as old as I am.  Modern people don't take touch
typing, rather they seem to be born knowing the QWERTY arrangement.  My son
is 3.5 and is already demonstrating some proficiency.

>  My fingers responded to characters I saw WITHOUT
> MY MIND being aware of choice to use a particular finger and motion...

Same here.  When one can think thru a keyboard, one's writing becomes so
much less labored and in many cases filled with silliness, as I have
demonstrated in this forum.

> (e.g. there is confusion in some of the global warming
> discussions when people use "kiloWatts" as if it meant
> "kiloWatt hours")...

Ja, it is an after-effect of our government confusing the units of jobs
created/saved when it meant job-hours created or saved:

http://origins.recovery.gov/Pages/home.aspx

> ...I built a graph of the "looks at" relationships, but
> didn't realize I'd need to examine the two values of
> "married" for Anne.   - David Harris, Palo Alto

The name Anne has been forever associated in my mind with the dazzling Anne
Hathaway:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=anne+hathaway&rlz=1W1GGLL_
en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=MMBAS6KXDoGmsgOek5zLBA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=tit
le&resnum=1&ved=0CB0QsAQwAA

David, I see you are from Palo Alto.  We should gather the local
ExI-chatters for sushi or something.

Regarding the point of your post, the curious discrepancy between
intelligence and rationality, it is something I have observed and pondered
for some time.  Our IQ tests do nothing to measure or indicate the level of
rationality.  I would be interested in figuring out a way to create an RQ
test.  Any ideas?