[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI.

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 3 18:38:27 UTC 2010

--- On Sun, 1/3/10, John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> As I said before creationists correctly say that
> life and intelligence are too grand to have come about by
> chance, but Searle says that's exactly how biology came
> up with consciousness.

Simply not so, John.

Consciousness evolved as an adaptive trait to aid intelligence.

An amoeba has intelligence in so much as it responds in intelligent ways to its environment, for example in ways that help it find nourishment, but it does not appear to have much consciousness assuming it has any at all. Having no nervous system, it appears to have only what we might call instinctive or unconscious intelligence. Not unlike a computer.

Higher organisms like us have intelligence enhanced with consciousness. They can ground symbols do other things that many would like to see computers do.

-gts