[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI.

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 3 19:42:19 UTC 2010

--- On Sun, 1/3/10, John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> The operative word in the above is "evolved". Why did this mysterious
> "subjective symbol grounding" (bafflegab translation: consciousness)
> evolve?

To help you communicate better with other monkeys, among other things.

I think you really want to ask how it happened that humans did not evolve as unconscious zombies. Why did evolution select consciousness? I think one good answer is that perhaps nature finds it cheaper when its creatures have first-person awareness of the things they do and say.

We would probably find it more efficient in computers also. We just need to figure out what nature did, and then do something similar.

-gts