[ExI] Some new angle about AI

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 11:47:36 UTC 2010

2010/1/3 Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com>:
> I think the argument from partial brain replacement that I have put
> forward to Gordon shows that if you can reproduce the behaviour of the
> brain, then you necessarily also reproduce the consciousness.
> Simulating neurons and molecules is just a means to this end.

"Consciousness" being hard to define as else than a social construct
and a projection (and a pretty vague one, for that matter, inasmuch as
it should be extensible to fruitflies...), the real point of the
exercise is simply to emulate "organic-like" computational abilities
with acceptable performances, brain-like architectures being
demonstrably not too bad at the task.

I do not really see anything that suggests that we could not do
everything in software with a PC, a Chinese Room or a cellular
automaton, without emulating *absolutely anything* of the actual
working of brains...

--
Stefano Vaj