[ExI] effect/affect again

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jan 4 18:18:18 UTC 2010

On 1/4/2010 10:49 AM, John Clark wrote:

> So consciousness effects behavior

I know you get some weird pleasure out of butchering the language with
this word, John, but I don't think *anyone* would make the universal
claim that consciousness effects behavior. The majority of behavior is
effected--caused to occur--by reflex, habit, and other non-conscious
control systems (driving automatically while thinking of something else,
hitting a ball when playing tennis, etc etc). Presumably you meant to
write "affects behavior" which is obviously true--consciousness has
*some* influence on behavior, but not all.

The problem with playing games with accepted usage is that you can end
up saying something stupid that you don't mean.
<http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/affect.html>

Damien Broderick