[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 5 16:47:00 UTC 2010

On Jan 5, 2010 Gordon Swobe wrote:

> Gradual zombification seems plausible to me.

Yes I know it does, however zombification would not seem plausible to you if you understood Darwin's Theory of Evolution.

> I finally took the plunge and spent the last year or two reading and surveying thinkers like Frege, Wittgenstein, Russell, Moore and others. And yes Searle also hails from that tradition.

The two greatest philosophical discoveries of the 20'th century were Quantum Mechanics and Godel's Incompleteness Theorem, philosophers did not discover either of them. In fact Wittgenstein probably didn't even read Godel's 1931 paper until 1942 and when he did comment on it, in a article published after his death, he said Godel's paper was just a bunch of tricks of a logical conjurer. He seemed to think that prose could disprove a mathematical proof; even many of Wittgenstein's fans are embarrassed by his last a article.

And by the way, the greatest philosophical discovery of the 19'th century was Darwin's Theory of Evolution and that also did not involve philosophers.

 John K Clark