[ExI] quantum brains

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 20:48:57 UTC 2010

2010/1/5 Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com>:
> I suppose it's possible that some autistic lightning calculators do that.
> But I've read arxiv papers recently arguing that photosynthesis functions
> via entanglement, so something that basic might be operating in other bio
> systems.
>
> And of course since I'm persuaded that some psi phenomena are real,
> *something* weird as shit is needed to account for them, something that can
> either do stupendous simulations in multiple worlds/superposed states, or
> can modify its state according to outcomes in the future. If that's not QM,
> it's something equally hair-raising that electronic computers aren't built
> to do.

Fine. Perhaps some quantum phenomenon is relevant in, say, the
operations of the liver or the photosynthesis.

What would suggest that it is involved as well in, say, the healing of
a wound or the computation performed by organic brains (which happens
*not* to exhibit any of the features of a quantum computer)?

As you know, I am also inclined to believe that the evidence is more
on the side of the existence of some kind of psi phenomena rather than
not, even more after reading your book  on the subject ;-), but there
again, if it had anything with quantum features of the brain, would it
rreally be a defining feature of "intelligence"?

Most human beings have today access to TV broadcasting, but I think a
real human being could easily pass a Turing test even though cut out
from the networks. Would lack of access to such very elusive,
occasional and peripheral phenomena disqualify an AGI or an uploaded
human being to be perceived  any differently from his or her
neighbours?

--
Stefano Vaj