[ExI] Paper: Redundancy in Systems Which Entertain a Model of Themselves: Interaction Information and the Self-Organization of Anticipation

Aware aware at awareresearch.com
Thu Jan 7 21:11:30 UTC 2010

Redundancy in Systems Which Entertain a Model of Themselves:
Interaction Information and the Self-Organization of Anticipation
<http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/12/1/63>

An technical paper published 2010-01-06 showing progress in areas of
particular interest to me. Related to the problem of quantification of
coherence over a context of mutual interaction information as well as
to Ulanowicz's notion of using a local reduction in uncertainty based
on mutual information among three or more dimensions as an indicator
of "ascendency." Heady stuff.

This paper might be seen as somewhat related to the issue of Searle's
Chinese Room since it does address an approach to quantififying the
**observer-dependent** meaningfulness of mutual interaction
information within a system, but it has no reason to say anything
about the epistemological context of that debate.

[Lizbeth said I should try using different words so people wouldn't
tend to tune me out. Fortunately these words from Loet Leydesdorff
arrived just in time to do the job.]

- Jef