[ExI] The symbol grounding problem in strong AI.

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 8 15:28:36 UTC 2010

--- On Thu, 1/7/10, Stathis Papaioannou <stathisp at gmail.com> wrote:

> The NCC is either gibberish or something trivially obvious,
> like oxygen, since without it neurons wouldn't work and you
> would lose consciousness.

As I already mentioned, the presence of oxygen clearly plays a role in whatever physical conditions must exist in the brain for it to have subjective experience. The sum of all those physical conditions = the NCC.

Neuroscientists will eventually understand the NCC in great detail. Whatever it turns out to be, we will no doubt someday have the ability to simulate it along with the rest of the brain on a computer just as we can simulate any other physical thing on a computer. And that computer simulation will *appear* conscious, not much different from the way simulations of ice cubes appear cold.

-gts