[ExI] Some new angle about AI

Gordon Swobe gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 10 16:04:49 UTC 2010

--- On Sat, 1/9/10, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suspect that Gordon is simply a dualist, with emotional
> reasons to think that conscience must be something "special"

Not at all Stefano. I consider the world as made of just one kind of stuff, not two or more.

In fact I just wrote something yesterday to Damien about how I consider consciousness as a physical state the brain can enter in a manner analogous to that by which water enters a state of solidity. When the brain enters that state, it has a feature we call experience. When it leaves that state, it doesn't.

In other words, I think subjective experience exists as part of the same physical world in which we find gum-ball machines, mountains and basketballs. It differs from those things only in that it has a first-person ontology. We can't approach it the same way that we do things with third-person ontologies but this does not in any way make it other-worldly or non-physical.

-gts